Large environments and rapid growth create demands on DNS that require a range of approaches to ensure the service is operating reliably. This talk focuses on some of the latest changes in the DNS space at Facebook that are intended to ensure everything "just works".
We take a look at some of the recent efforts by the DNS team at Facebook to keep DNS humming such as:
- Preventing invalid DNS queries from leaking
- Improving cache hit ratio
- Stop the sending of iterative queries to root servers
- Improving DNS response latency by 65%
- Reducing the memory usage on DNS servers
- Reducing the propagation time for DNS changes
- Scaling out the torrent infrastructure and removing the dependency on trackers
and a discussion on some of the tradeoffs.
A talk on the the behind the scenes efforts to make DNS work in a very large high growth environment.